Tuesday 8 April 2014

DEVELOPING A SPIRITUAL LEGACY

Reading this week’s scripture made me very aware of the incredible responsibility that we as Christian parents have to reflect the image of God to the children he has entrusted us with.  

We are responsible for showing them who God is by what they see in us and our actions.
Many times children don’t see God in us or our actions and when they model our behavior or that of their friends we are distraught and horrified by what they do.  So how do we change all this.  This week’s scripture reminded me that my children are to see God in me so that they can model His will for their lives from my behaviour.

I love what I was told by David Howell at the dedication of my daughter – he said that as her mother she would learn God’s will and love from my hands.  That a woman’s hands were meant to be soft because they reflect the softness of God’s touch in a person’s life.  I love using the diagram of the open hand to remind me of the five things that my children must receive from me.

Each individual finger represents one aspect of what my child needs to develop good behavior.
The thumb stands for love.  It is the most valuable digit on your hand opposing the other four.  Working with them you are able to pick up and grasp objects.  It can completely surround an object.  In order to practice good behavior a child must feel loved and secure.
The pointer stands for clarity.  My child will only learn things that are clearly and consistently demonstrated to her.
The middle finger is the longest and reminds me that my child will do what she sees me doing.  Am I modelling God in my life for her to follow and copy?
God’s rewards are very often words of encouragement and hope from His word.  Children thrive on our words of love, encouragement and friendliness.  Rewards do not have to be tangible objects.  A gentle hand on a child’s shoulder when we say ‘well done’ or ‘I’m proud of you’ goes much further than the newest DVD in encouraging correct behaviour.

Punishment – the smallest and weakest finger, but still very important.  God promises both blessing and punishment.  I am reminded by the position of punishment on my hand that punishment alone will not result in good behavior, but I am also reminded that it is an essential part of developing good behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment