Monday 24 February 2014

What is our responsibility as parents?

When we speak about our faith as adults, one of the questions we should be asking ourselves is what our responsibility as parents is to training our children? Where does a school like Kings School’s, responsibility end or start regarding the spiritual growth of our children and our responsibility start or end?
Well, I am of the opinion that the spiritual growth of my child is not entirely the school’s responsibility, after all, God did not entrust my children in the school’s hands as the primary relationship, no, he placed my son and daughter into my hands and I in turn placed them in the hands of the school and I will be held accountable for their spiritual growth. 
The relationship between parent and school is symbiotic by nature and there has to be a synergy between the school and us as parents. That the school has a role to play, there can be no doubt but that role is not to be the sole shaping or influencing role of my child’s spirituality, it’s role is to reinforce two things in my child’s life- the teachings of my Lord and saviour and the bible as the ordained word of God. It is our responsibility to teach our children about Jesus and the word of God before they get to school, the school has to reinforce those teachings if they are a Christ following school with a Christ following curriculum. 
The reason I say this is because not every child in South Africa goes to a Christ Following school like Kings and so there is little or no external influence into a child’s life from the educational institution it may be a part of. This makes the task of raising your child in a Christ following environment a lot more difficult and so much more important for parents. I hope that this blog will help. 
Next time, I will look at what happens when we raise our children in Christ-like way and with Christ following principles. Until next time…
God Bless

Andre Henning

No comments:

Post a Comment